Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Over that Hill


Time is ticking. The big 30 is just around the corner. Am I ready? Am I where I thought I would be in life? The answer is probably no on both counts but does that really matter? Honestly, I haven't even given it much thought until now. I don't understand why people get so depressed or anxious about 30. I think we put these cultural mile markers in life that have certain connotations and for some reason turning 30 has a bad one for most people. I guess it is suposed to mean the end of our youth or the end of dreams for some. In reality though 30 is just the same thing as 29 or 25 or 15 except we are supposed to be a little bit wiser with more life experience under our belt. I'd rather look at this "milestone" a bit more positively. This is the begining of maturity right ha. I still feel young but I also feel like I know way more than I did 10 years ago. What I know now is this, there is so much I don't know. The more I learn in life and understand things or experience things, the more I realize how much I don't understand and how much there is in life to know and experience. I'm looking forward to my thities and what God has for me. I get to watch my daughter grow and I get to love her and my wife evry day. I can't ask for much more than that and yet I still get so much more. So i say, 30, bring it on. I look forward to it and I'll thank God he's brought me this far.

2 comments:

kathryn said...

yeah, keep it nice and positive, Dave! I like it! 30 was a very good birthday for me as well. . it didn't freak me out or make me feel any different. 40, well that was different. . physically things had started changing, greying, hurting. . i'm at 45 now. . the body aging is not so great, but i'm trying my best to age well and be healthy. Mentally and emotionally, middle age is great! i'm SO grateful for all that i've been able to experience -- even the difficult things, as they have a refining and humbling effect. Yes, enjoy your thirties, happy guy!

alan said...

I turned 30 back on the 13th of December. I felt the same waking up at 30 on the 13th, as I did at 29 twenty-four hours earlier on the 12th. It's all a mental thing.

It sounds like you're approaching it similar to the way I did. Just live day to day trying to live your life for the Lord in a way that's pleasing unto Him, knowing you and your family are blessed, and have all of His promises.

You can't go wrong with that.

a-